The topic is:
Pick one state and speak to a policy (ies) related to the use of electronic health records (EHRs). We’re looking at existing policies or a need where policies supporting EHRs should/ could be created.
Pay specific attention to the five essential components of a policy analysis: problem statement, background, landscape, options analysis, and recommendation.
- Include a title page, with name, date, course and section, and title
- Include section headers for each section, below.
- Problem Statement
- Options Analysis: evaluate the policy for its impact on public health and health equity
- Recommendation: you must include suggestions on advocacy for clinical, social, or economic policies and programs that will result in positive social change and improve health outcomes in a diverse population
- Cite the sources in your text, wherever you referred to them.
- Include an APA formatted reference list.
Teitelbaum, J. B., & Wilensky, S. E. (2017). Essentials of health policy and law (3rd ed). Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
- Chapter 13, “Public Health Preparedness Policy” (pp. 253–271)
- Chapter 14, “The Art of Structuring and Writing a Health Policy Analysis” (pp. 277–290)
The Final Project for this course is a 12- to 15-page public policy analysis (not including title page and references) that addresses the public health topic provided by your instructor.
Example Health Policies for Analysis
A public health related topic will be assigned to you by the 2nd week of the term. You are to write a policy analasis addressing a public health topic. Your paper should address a relevant health policy that is a threat to the public’s health and not currently legislated or regulated. Examples of topics that may be assigned include the following:
• Legislating mandatory nationwide installation of seat belts in school buses • Legislating mandatory nationwide HIV testing as part of all routine blood testing • Legislating mandatory nationwide ban on smoking in public places
Other policies that may be interesting to follow can be found at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Winnable Battles website at http://www.cdc.gov/winnablebattles/ or at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) Health Policy website at http://www.rwjf.org/en/topics/rwjf-topicareas/healthpolicy.html.
Required Research Paper Elements
Use the Walden University Research Paper Template as your guide to produce an APA compliant research paper.
Chapter 14 of your textbook addresses “The Art of Structuring and Writing a Health Policy Analysis.” Consult this chapter for specific guidance for your paper. When conducting this analysis, you must address the following areas of consideration: • Problem Statement • Background • Landscape • Options • Recommendation(s)
Your paper must include these headings. You may add other headings if your topic warrants more specific information.