Assignment: Controversy Associated With Dissociative Disorders
The DSM-5-TR is a diagnostic tool. It has evolved over the decades, as have the classifications and criteria within its pages. It is used not just for diagnosis, however, but also for billing, access to services, and legal cases. Not all practitioners are in agreement with the content and structure of the DSM-5-TR, and dissociative disorders are one such area. These disorders can be difficult to distinguish and diagnose. There is also controversy in the field over the legitimacy of certain dissociative disorders, such as dissociative identity disorder, which was formerly called multiple personality disorder.
In this Assignment, you will examine the controversy surrounding dissociative disorders. You will also explore clinical, ethical, and legal considerations pertinent to working with patients with these disorders.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources on dissociative disorders.
- Use the Walden Library to investigate the controversy regarding dissociative disorders. Locate at least three scholarly articles that you can use to support your Assignment.
The Assignment (2 pages)
- Explain the controversy that surrounds dissociative disorders.
- Explain your professional beliefs about dissociative disorders, supporting your rationale with at least three scholarly references from the literature.
- Explain strategies for maintaining the therapeutic relationship with a client that may present with a dissociative disorder.
- Finally, explain ethical and legal considerations related to dissociative disorders that you need to bring to your practice and why they are important.